Wednesday, October 22, 2008

To gym, or not to gym? That is the question.

Well, I didn't go to the gym today. I did go yesterday, though. I'm just wondering how to make sure I keep going to the gym without getting burnt out. So far the every other day thing seems to be working okay... I know I would probably get in better shape and lose weight faster if I went to the gym everyday and used the elliptical machine for an hour, but that is pretty unrealistic.

So yesterday when I went to the gym, I had a plan. My plan was to do 15-20 minutes on the elliptical machine, followed by about 15 minutes on the weight machines. Then I was going to swim (probably in the therapy pool) for another 20-30 minutes and finish off with a little dip in the hot tub to relax my muscles. I even packed a whole gym bag and everything--I had my bathing suit and goggles, and a change of clothes for after my shower, and even deodorant and a hairbrush (which I happened to forget the last time I actually went swimming).

Anyway, I get to the gym... I 'm doing the elliptical thing, and before I know it my 20 minutes is already over. I just didn't feel like that gave me enough of a workout, so I added on another 15 minutes. When that time was up I still felt relatively fresh... PLUS Extreme Makeover: Home Edition had just come on one of the big tvs hanging in the cardio area, and I am a sucker for that show...so I finally added on enough time to just give me my usual hour on the elliptical. By the time I finished I figured it would be overkill to go swimming. I probably could have done weights, but I don't like to do them when I'm excessively sweaty because I tend to leave (warning:TMI) sweaty butt prints on the seats. (Don't worry, I wipe them off... but still... ew.)

So that was my trip to the gym--an hour on the elliptical. I was still good and tired when I was done, but I need to try and actually stick to my plan next time... I need the variety, and need to work different sets of muscles. I do tend to like the cardio the most, though, because it is the quickest way to lose weight. However, I need to keep reminding myself that this isn't JUST about losing weight--it is about getting fit and healthy. (Plus I want to get toned). :)

3 comments:

Rachel.Rebecca.Miller said...

Hey Beautiful Bliggity-Blogger :) I'm very proud that you went to the gym, no worries that you didn't do any weight training! You still got more exercise than me!! Um- could you do some cardio for me? Thanks!! :) Love you like a sis! (oh... wait...) *hugs!*

Meg said...

I don't know if it'll help your sweaty butt prints (hehe) but if you take the little white towel they give you when you check in with you, you can sit on it. That seems to help a little..

Megkathleen said...

I find that if I just stick to something for more than two weeks it becomes a habit. I used to have the hardest time getting out to run, but now I manage to do it about three times a week. Also, I'll tell my boyfriend in the morning that I want to go and he'll nag me about it later to make sure I go. It can get annoying, but it works.