Sunday, October 19, 2008

Get up lazybones!!!

I have to go to the gym today. I haven't since Thursday when I went swimming, and it is Sunday now. I didn't go for that stint because I strained or pulled a muscle in my shoulder and it hurt muchly. It is still sore but usable--I will just not do the weight machines today. But I have to go. I don't want what has happened before to happen again... I work out for a week or two and then slowly taper off... Nope, not happening. I'm not just doing this to fit into a wedding dress like I was a year or two ago--I am doing it so I can be fit and healthy.

So what shall I do at the gym today? Probably my old stand-by, the elliptical machine. I can usually go for about an hour on one of those suckers. I am not fit enough to really jog or run on the treadmill, but for some reason I can get going on the elliptical and time just flies by. Well, it also flies by because I have my iPod with upbeat tunes to listen to while I'm chugging along. But I wonder why I get so out of breath and exhausted from trying to run or jog, but not from using the elliptical machine? I mean, I get tired, but my lungs don't feel like they're on fire and I'm not gasping for air after five minutes. What gives? I know the elliptical is low impact so it doesn't hurt the knees, but does that have anything to do with being winded? My kindof-theory is that when I run or jog, my feet pounding the treadmill surface sort of force the air out of me, while the elliptical doesn't because there is not pounding involved--just nice, fluid motion.

Well, I suppose if I'm going to head to the gym I'd better eat something now and get moving... the later in the day I put it off until, the easier it is to say I'm too tired or I just don't feel like it. So I will go when I'm done with lunch. :) Left-over chili... yum.

No comments: